Cell Phones And Other Electronic Devices
We do understand what an important place a cell phone has in our everyday lives. However, we have found that a cell phone can be detrimental to the educational process. In addition to students being distracted by sending and receiving text messages, cell phones and other electronic devices are being used to gain unauthorized assistance on tests and other assignments. Students also gain access to web sites that we normally block on our school computers. In order to maintain an optimal learning environment, American Christian Academy has adopted the following cell phone policy.
SECTION 1 – PROHIBITION
From the ringing of the tardy bell of each instructional period until the end of the period and the dismissal bell rings, the following prohibitions will be in effect:
- Cell phone use for any reason during class is prohibited except by express permission and under the supervision of the teacher.
- Students may not receive or make telephone calls or text messages during class time.
- Phones will be turned off and placed in open view in a teacher designated area.
- At break and at lunch, students are encouraged to engage in positive personal interaction with friends rather than focusing their attention on cell phones.
SECTION 2 – EXCEPTIONS
Students needing to make an emergency phone call during the class time, with the permission of the classroom teacher, will step into the hall for a brief time (2 -3 minutes).
SECTION 3 – DISCIPLINARY ACTIONS
Any teacher, staff, substitute teacher, or administrator becoming aware of any violation shall deal with it by issuing a demerit and may hold the phone until the end of the day.
Students using IPads in the classroom for access to electronic textbooks must adhere to the following guidelines:
- They may not use the IPad non-academic purposes during the class period.
- They may not video or record the class without the express permission of the class teacher each time it is to be done.
- Any student who abuses the intent for which IPads are allowed will receive a demerit and lose the privilege of having one on campus.
IPODS OR CELL PHONES USED AS IPODS
Because ACA is interested in developing our students socially as well as Academically, IPODs (or MP3 or cell phones used as MP3) should not be used at school. The presence of headphones of any type will be considered IPOD use. When they are in class, they definitely do not need to be distracted by them. Between classes, they do not need the stimulation from the IPOD that would hinder them from interaction with their peers or delay them from getting to class on time. Violation may result in the IPod being held until the end of the day.
EXCEPTION: Teachers may allow some limited use during certain assignments.
LASER POINTER/ LIGHTS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE USED BY STUDENTS